You may have heard the phrase “mercury retrograde” tossed around in spiritual circles, but what exactly does it mean and what can you expect to happen when Mercury goes retro?
The term “retrograde” is misunderstood by many to mean the planet itself slows down, then begins spinning in the opposite direction (for a period of three weeks), and then slows down once again and returns to spinning in its normal fashion. In actuality, it’s just a visual trick that makes it appear that way from earth, but its effect is no less significant despite this common misconception.
When the planet Mercury is in retrograde (which occurs approximately three to four times per year, depending on the year) we tend to see a slowdown in the three key areas (communication, money, and transportation). It’s not ideal, but it’s also not earth-shattering, either.
However, here are some things you are likely to experience during Mercury retrograde:
– frustration over unmet expectations
– communication delivery problems (mail not being received, important emails suddenly going into the ol’ spam folder, deadlines getting missed, phone troubles, electronics issues, bad connections, etc.)
– relationship drama (more so than usual)
– extra-cranky kids
– car troubles, car expenses, car accidents and breakdowns. Problems related to cars (such as, getting dropped by your car insurance, or your automated car insurance payment suddenly not getting made –> see how that actually relates to all 3 areas of commerce, transportation, and communication?)
– travel issues (delayed flights, lost luggage, cancelled travel, bus or subway breakdowns, schedules off by more than a few minutes, etc.)
– errors in contracts and signed agreements, money mistakes, loss of money, unexpected expenses, credit card problems, debt repayments being delayed, etc.
– additional (unexpected) money issues
– Plus, since Mercury is typically a time for old stuff to complete, you can find yourself dealing with old debts, arguments, relationships, legal matters, emotions, hurts, unhealed traumas, and lots of unpleasantness from your past.
Yes, while it’s certainly true that you could experience these things even when Mercury is NOT retrograde (also called “direct”), the likelihood of these kinds of unpleasant experiences is heightened during a retrograde period.
Some people tend to take this to the far extreme, refusing to sign any big contracts or start anything new during a retro period. This seems a bit extreme to me, as you are certainly giving your power away if you do this. C’mon, you don’t really want to climb into bed and stay there for 3 weeks every quarter, do you?
But guess what? You can actually harness the power of Mercury retrograde and learn to use it to your advantage!
Why not take the wheel and steer this next retrograde season into a direction you want to use to enhance your life, instead of allowing yourself to be rocked and pitched by the random winds of change?
Mercury Retro-tastic is a powerful self-study program designed to help you to re-flect, re-new, re-fill, and re-lease all that no longer serves you so that you can re-create exactly what you want in the coming months. Best of all, this program is re-usable so you just buy it once and continue to re-peat the process any time Mercury Retrograde is looming on the horizon.
The next Mercury retro period starts on May 18th, and if you purchase your copy of Mercury Retro-tastic before the end of May, you can use coupon code may20 to save an extra $20. Click here to buy now.